Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day Two of Snowed In

My husband has been out of town all week.  His company put him up in a hotel so he could be on site for meetings with people who came down from snowy Pennsylvania.  Well, with the impending snow storm, I heard that we were supposed to also have an ice storm.  The last time we had ice our heating unit was filled with ice and wouldn't work.  We literally had to use a hair dryer to try and de-thaw the ice that was inside the unit.  So I came up with the bright idea of covering the unit through the rest of that storm so we could have heat.  We put up an A-frame ladder with a huge umbrella on top.  That worked.
 
So fast forward and now we have the same scenario about to happen.  Except my husband is not here to help me.  So outside I go, before the storm gets here, in my sweatpants, pajama shirt (it was a warm one) and old ratty sweater, my husband's winter coat and his gloves.  No idea where mine were.  Also, I had a red knitted hat on which made me look pretty pitiful.  I go to the shed, muscle the huge ladder off the hooks, carry it to the heating unit, get my huge umbrella, climb the ladder, tie the umbrella to the ladder and create my cover.  I shared this with a friend.....I kept thinking to myself, thank goodness the neighbors can't see me back here in this state.  Then I started thinking. hmmmmmm......what if I fall of this tall ladder (which is much taller in person than it looks in the picture!!).  Might be a good idea if someone knew I was back here.  In any event I got the contraption put together and was rounding the corner to go inside when I saw a 4" x 4" log that was going to eventually be a birdhouse post.  I carried that back to my contraption and wedged that between the ladder and the house just in case it got windy and blew over my ladder.  That wouldn't do at all!!
So here's my make-do cover for the heater.  My husband is going to build a cover this spring but we needed it now!!  Hmmmm.......wonder if I can find something cute on Pinterest for him to build!!
And here it is in the snow doing it's job. 
And here it is the next morning after snow and ice came through.  Looks like I made "the right choice"!!  It worked like a champ! 
Worked on some kits this morning, putting together thread packs.  Kits are wonderful but there sure is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into them.  I'm making these for the Vintage View Quilt Show that will be in Raleigh in March. 
And while I was in my room working, it started snowing again.  Two days in a row!!  Enough already.  But I have to admit, I'm getting lots of work done.  Miss all you ladies but hey, I'm being productive! 
So while I'm working this afternoon I called my sister to see how she was doing.  They were getting more snow and she said she heard we had some snow.  Well, long story short, she sent me this picture of what their snow looked like after last night.  I would say we got off pretty easy after seeing this picture.  My son also sent me a video of his dog out in the snow today and said they had 18".  Again, we fared pretty well all things considered.  And what's great about being in the south is we'll be in the 60's in a few days! 
Made this sweet little spool pincushion this afternoon.  Think I'll make some more of these for the show. 
And the carrots I shared with you yesterday are now put together in a table mat.  All I need to do is stitch down those bunnies and hand it off to Laura to do a little creative quilting.  See, spring is just around the corner!
 
Hope you're all STILL enjoying our little snowfall and finding some time to do a little stitching. 

1 comment:

  1. I love you little garden shed made from doors! Your idea on the heating unit was genius!

    ReplyDelete