Monday, February 10, 2014

A New Blog and a Fun Trip

OK, the hackers have gotten the better of me.  A friend worked and worked on my computer and still the hacker is there.  So I decided to start a new blog and see how it goes.  If it happens on this blog, then I will find a new server.  I apologize to everyone for any issues you have had with the other site.  I just wish people would stop doing bad things on computers!!!!
 
With that said, my first post is one with lots of pictures from a retreat that I attended with friends in January.  This was a first time retreat at a farmhouse in Washington, NC.  There were five of us and we spent a fun weekend sewing and hand stitching.  I took three projects with me and worked on all three but got hung up on selvedges for the most part.  I have decided to keep collecting selvedges and make a quilt!!  Won't that be grand!!! 
I believe Betty is taking something apart here.  She put lots together too! 
Kathy was trying to finish up some blocks.  I think she got quite a bit accomplished! 

Debby brought her Calendar Girls embroidery pieces to work on.  Whew, that's a lot of stitching ahead of her!!
Debby next to her famous wool crazy quilt.  It is absolutely spectacular to see this all together in person.  I promise my pictures won't do this piece justice.  She decided to hang it in the farmhouse since that's where a lot of her ideas came from. 


Debby finished the binding on this quilt.  She said that was her goal to get done during the retreat, if nothing else.  Beautiful!!! 
Back to the machine......
Time for a little hand work 
Still working on this Calendar Girl..... 
Debby and I took a walk to a small family cemetery on the property.  There were four graves......wonder how many of these family cemetery's there are around the country.  I know my family has a couple in the mountains of West Virginia. 
Love this old barn on the property. 
Another family home right next to the farmhouse we were staying in.  Could be another retreat location!!!!  Just saying................. 
Smokehouse out back.....my Mammaw had one of these. 
Front porch rocking.......except it was too cold.  But wouldn't it be fun to sit out here in the summer and do a little stitching!
This was an old building not far from the farmhouse erected by The Charitable Brotherhood.  Apparently they were neighbors who helped neighbors back in the day.  Imagine!! 


A church not far from the farmhouse.  I love old white churches.  We walked around the cemetery and I took pictures of lots of the headstones, some dating back to the early 1800's. 
The day we were leaving, we decided to go to Washington for a visit.  I've never been to that town and we thought it would be fun.  We did some driving around and looking, some shopping, and then it was time for lunch.  I've been hearing for years about Bill's Hotdogs from Debby and Kathy so of course, we had to eat at the famous Bill's. 

This lady has worked at Bill's since it opened, I believe in the 50's, or maybe 60's.   
Kathy and Debby said there are always lines at Bill's, sometimes wrapping around the block.  We were lucky today that it only wrapped around the inside of the store. 


This picture was hanging on the wall......there's the same lady from the picture above at the end of the line.  Cool to think of the history in a place like this. 
THEN...........and
NOW!!  I know this lady thought I was crazy taking her picture after I ordered my two hotdogs all the way!!  But she's history!   
There were decorated crabs all over the town.  I got pictures of a couple of them.  Pretty cool. 
Enjoying our hotdogs down by the water.  A bit cool but still enjoyed the scenery.  And the hotdogs were good.  Very different and good. 

This was a fancy mosaic crab. 

And my camera battery died!!  No more pictures.  Signaling us that it was time to pack it in and head home.  Thanks Debby for such a great weekend.  Lots of fun and adventures. 


2 comments:

  1. What a great time! Ready to do it again with warmer air mattresses and no spooky lights!

    ReplyDelete